Jobs with FOTAS
Working Professionally with Friends of the Animal Shelter
The mission of Friends of the Animal Shelter is to support the programs at the Jackson County Animal Shelter. Our employees do not work directly with animals, but with our most important asset, our volunteers. Volunteers are the life-blood of our organization.
We are a 501(c)3 non-profit. Unfortunately, we do not offer healthcare benefits at this time. Paid Time Off is accrued over time, based on the number of hours you work. Helping to save hundreds of animals’ lives every year, while providing a premier volunteer experience are our top priorities, and we are looking for employees that will help!
Jobs Open: FOTAS Volunteer Services Manager
(Downloadable version at bottom of description)
Friends of the Animal Shelter (FOTAS) is seeking a Volunteer Services Manager. Under the direction and supervision of the FOTAS Executive Director , this position will coordinate over 250 volunteers, who participate in FOTAS programs at the Shelter to enhance the lives of the animals and at numerous outreach and fundraising events throughout Jackson County, Oregon.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Schedule volunteers to work at the Jackson County Animal Shelter in Phoenix, Oregon, and to
participate in appropriate outreach and fundraising events throughout Jackson County.
- Maintain contact with active volunteers on a regular basis, reminding them of Shelter policies or providing supportive feedback, as needed.
- Work with Shelter staff to encourage and support a cohesive working environment between volunteers and staff. Serve as a liaison between volunteers, the shelter staff, and the Shelter manager.
- Supervise one or more employed assistants or volunteers to handle data entry, clerical work, responding to emails and phones and other routine tasks.
- Coordinate the training of all new volunteers and provide updated training for volunteers with a significant lapse in work as a volunteer (one year or more).
- Identify and train volunteers who may be able to take on additional duties. Develop and implement retention plans and recognition events for volunteers.
- Write and distribute a monthly electronic newsletter to active volunteers.
- Maintain Volgistics database of FOTAS volunteers and Network for Good for donors. Upgrade Volgistics with online self-scheduling capability for volunteers and offer training.
- Oversee monthly reconciliation of donations with FOTAS Bookkeeper.
- Oversee production and mailing of donor thank you letters
- Promptly respond to FOTAS-related communication with volunteers and members of the public, including phone calls and e-mails.
- Ability to discern what issues need urgent attention from the Executive Director and/or Board.
- Provide a written monthly report of key activities to the Board
- Attend weekly coordination meetings with Shelter Management, monthly FOTAS Program Advisory Committee and Working Cats Program
- Review, write and update operational procedures
- Accept other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- At least two years of experience managing volunteers.
- Proven ability for creative problem-solving and able to mediate conflict.
- Ability to work with diverse people.
- Demonstrated respect and value for animals.
- Experience with animal shelters or professional animal care
- Experience with Volunteer and Donor Databases; Volgistics and Network for Good
- Experience managing programs or supervising others for at least 2 years.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to train and effectively communicate with volunteers.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and database management.
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision.
- Must provide proof of right to work in the U.S.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
- Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds of materials and displays and walk up and down stairs.
ASSIGNMENT: The position is paid for 40 hours/week, with paid holidays, two weeks of paid vacation per year after the first year, and no healthcare benefits. This position works a flexible schedule of rotation between Monday-Friday or Tuesday through Saturday.
It will require flexibility in scheduling, including occasional evening events. The individual will be expected to work primarily at the Jackson County Animal Shelter, with the possibility of some hours offsite.
COMPENSATION: Starting pay is $20/hour, depending on prior experience, with annual increases based on performance through an evaluation process.
EVALUATION: A probationary performance review will be conducted at the end of three months, with an additional review at the end of six months. A review at the end of the first year will determine any compensation increase. Thereafter, the individual will be evaluated annually.
EMPLOYMENT AT WILL: FOTAS reserves the right to employ at will. This job description is not to be construed as a contract of employment. FOTAS reserves the right to change, add to, or delete items from this job description at any time based on the organization’s needs.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: FOTAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to assure that applicants, employees, and volunteers are treated without regard to their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or physical or mental ability.
TO APPLY: Email your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references to the FOTAS OFFICE. Please type “Volunteer Manager and your last name” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Download job description: JOB DESCRIPTION FOTAS Volunteer Services Manager.9.21