- Open only to hardship surrenders like owner passing or fire displacement.
- Appointments are appreciated.
- JCAS cannot currently accept feral cats, kittens and owner surrenders.
- Healthy stray cats are best reunited with their owners if left in place. Please visit our “How to help cats within the fire area” page for details. Espanol.
- Check FOTAS’ list of all known social media sites for privately organized lost & found listings.
TIP: If you can take the animal to a vet and have it scanned for a chip, it is possible you can reunite the animal with its owner quickly.
If you are going to house an animal you have found and continue to search for the pet’s owner, you should submit a FOUND REPORT with Jackson County Animal Shelter. The Shelter will check your report against their inventory of animals that people have reported as lost. See below how to report a FOUND animal.
If you have found an uninjured tame cat in the fire affected area:
If you see cats that are loose but uninjured, it is best to offer food where the animal is found and report the cat to the Shelter, as well as post a picture on one of the social media fire sites with the location. Cats fed in place and not removed from the area are far more likely to be re-united with owners. (Click here for a complete list of fire related Facebook Lost and Found pages.)
How to submit a FOUND pet report to Jackson County:
Subject: FOUND PET —-
Body of Email should include below details:
- Animal Description: Animal, Breed, Color, Outstanding Features, Age, Weight, Male or Female, Spayed or neutered, chipped or not chipped.
- Anything that stands out: color of collar, physical characteristics, etc.
- Photo: Attach photos
- Date / Time / Location of found animal
- Finders Contact Details – Name, Address, Phone, Email
Additional sites to check:
Also there are many community Facebook pages where people are presently posting lost and found animals. Click here for a master list of all known fire related lost and found pet pages. Posting information about the animal you have found on these pages is also advisable. The more places you can show the animal, the better chances of the owners finding it.
Be sure and also post on the Friends of the Animal Shelter Lost/Found pet page at: https://www.fotas.org/lost-found-facebook/
Jackson County Animal Shelter address and hours:
- Address: 5595 S. Pacific Hwy. Phoenix, OR
- Phone: 541-774-6654
- Hours: TUE – FRI 11A – 4P // SAT & SUN 12N – 4P