HELPING ORPHANED KITTENS
During the spring and summer months, and again in the fall, kittens arrive at Jackson County Animal Shelter in droves, often motherless and requiring round-the-clock care. “Kitten Season” poses a need for both foster volunteers to care for these babies, and supplies to ensure their survival.
During “high season,” we can have more than 100 kittens in foster care at any given time!
There is NO question that fostering saves lives!
We’re calling this a “virtual” kitten shower because so many of us are sheltering at home – so, we hope you will contribute to our Kitten Shower from your furry abode!
We need to buy medical supplies to get the kittens healthy (most come in with some sort of treatable illness), and keep them healthy (with special kitten milk replacement formula and kitten food). Other stuff, like beds, play pens, warming disks, bottles, litter, etc. are all on the shopping list! And, then of course, get them spayed/neutered.
Currently, we spend close to $25,000/year to supply and manage our Foster program for both cats and dogs (does NOT include the cost of spay/neuter).
Examples of “Regular” expenses:
- Kitten milk replacement formula: Close to $300 for a 20 lb. bucket (we go through 6 – 8 of these each year)
- Canned and dry kitten food: $100/kitten
- Kitty Litter: Lots of it!
- Flea and ear mite treatment: $20/kitten
- Ringworm tests, oral and topical treatments: $100/kitten
- Play Pens that can be cleaned and re-used
Examples of Medical expenses:
- Vet visits for analysis – helps if we know what we’re treating! Huge expense!
- Blood and fecal tests
- Medicines specific to medical issues, like giardia or coccidia
- Hydration tools: Sub-Q fluids, needles and syringes
- Antibiotics for infections
- Probiotics for out-of-balance little tummies
Please consider making a financial contribution to help us pay for essential Orphaned Kittens supplies!
If you would like to send a check, please make it out to Friends of the Animal Shelter, and write KITTEN SHOWER on the memo line.
Mail it to Friends of the Animal Shelter, PO Box 1013, Phoenix, OR 97535.